Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #98: SANTALYTICS 2017 - Part 2

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Mostly for doing it in a crazy way thought it would be nice to make it a YXMD output... had to go back to get zip again but base64 encoded the images for use as comments

Layout based on Wikipedia's article on the Extended Periodic Table

Spoiler
2017-12-15_20-32-05.jpg

This produces the table as a workflow full of comments;
2017-12-15_20-27-19.jpg

Generator is challenge_98_jd.yxmd and output is report.yxmd

paul_houghton
12 - Quasar

I did enjoy this...mostly...still complain about the reporting tools :)

Spoiler
Challenge 98.jpg
Challenge 98 - Output.jpg
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Gone a bit Ebenezer Scrooge with the number of tools I've used.

Workflow:

Spoiler
WorkflowWorkflow

Output:

Spoiler
OutputOutput
SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

I freely admit I went completely against the song and threw this into Tableau (after doing all the heavy lifting in Alteryx of course). I'm sure this selfish reasoning will put me on the naughty list... coal it is for me... luckily I can now make my own periodic table!

Here's the final output I posted to my Tableau Public:

z0b6Joo

I had to add a few more tool in order to get the dynamic colors in the tool tips to match the Alteryx tool categories, as well as to modify the file names so the Shapes would assign themselves automatically. First time I really spent any time looking at the tool categories colors (which I quickly added to my custom colors)

e45BIKI

Workflow:

Spoiler
Dl87HAb
Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.
SGolnik
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Okay....my solution on this one doesn't look quite as well done as some. I was happy that I got it looking close to what it should! I'm definitely going to take some time to take a closer look at everyone else's so I can figure out how to do some of the cool things that I've seen.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

This one took me awhile because I think I focused too much on "automated".

Spoiler
PeriodicTable.PNG

I was very concerned with the fact that as the number of tools grew, the toolids in each column could wind up shifting, and which columns needed blanks could change, so I built out a rather complex set of logic to accomplish this.

DynamicBlanks.PNG

Overall this was a fun one and I learned a lot about the reporting tools while doing it!
Laurap1228
11 - Bolide

This was tough to get the correct grid layout.

Laurap1228
11 - Bolide

This was tough to get the correct grid layout.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@patrick_digan wrote:

I am exhausted after that one! I was receiving all sorts of PCXML errors; however, I was finally able to produce an HTML output that looked like I wanted.

I'm with you on this @patrick_digan - several errors were thrown which seem to be defects that this kind of exercise has unearthed.   For example - doing a formula to check for null, and then replacing with an image of a solid block breaks the reporting elements.    I'll log these as defects with worked examples

Spoiler

2018-01-01_1-11-57.png

Went the same route as @patrick_digan - didn't get the blank spaces to work (because of the PCXML errors and images / reporting elements suddenly forgetting that they are images) - but did use cross-tab and table to make this work.

2018-01-01_1-05-47.png

2018-01-01_1-05-58.png
samN
10 - Fireball

Way different than all of the other challenges. Much more time on the creative aspect