Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #97: SANTALYTICS 2017 - Part 1

JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

It's building time in ‘alteryx-ese’

first we download data and p-n-gs!

Santa's orders are stacked too high!! How can we help keep the periodic table of Alteryx tools orders coming year after year? Automation in Alteryx, of course! First, we'll need image assets to create our unique periodic tables.

If you are just checking out #SANTALYTICS for the first time, please read our intro blog to see our team rap, learn about the badge, and maybe get a shot at some SWAG!

Goal:

1. Download image assets to make your periodic table visual from the web:
    1. You can try two different paths:
      • Download the .zip file and extract using an Alteryx Workflow (more difficult)
      • Download all the tools/images from a host location
  1. Then use the Tool Data.yxdb dataset to match tools to their visual assets

Resources:

1. URL of zip file containing the images needed for Exercise 2
  2. Tool Data.yxdb
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I went with option 1 and downloaded the zip from the web.

Spoiler
I used the download tool to get the zip file and then R to unzip the images. 
Capture.PNG

I was able to add a few browse and change my connections to wireless to get a little more into the #Santalytics spirit:
Capture.PNG

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Love Santalytics!  I used method 2 - downloading each file individually... 

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

I'm a method 2 kinda guy

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 97.png
StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

I went with option one.

Spoiler
I used jdunkerly79's unzip workflow (slightly modified) to unzip into a folder.  I used REGEX to extract the file name from the full file path, then joined each asset from there.
Capture.JPG
Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Method 2 for me!

Challenge 97.PNG
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Went down the option 1 route

Spoiler
It took me a little time to get the command line running as i expected - had to brush up on how to configure my paths how i wanted.

I also spent some time trying to join to each option that could have an image before deciding it would be faster to transpose->join->Cross Tab
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Finally caught up with the challenges! I'm a Route #2 gal, so here's my solution. To avoid lots of joins, I went the transpose-join-crosstab route.

Spoiler
image.png
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Option #2 for me! 

Spoiler
As if I needed any more reasons to love the Summarize tool... of course it has an option to combine images! It's a Christmas miracle!

Santalytics1.JPG

NJ

samN
10 - Fireball

Option number two for me. Did this first with the image tool but realized it was a little cleaner with the blob tool! Back to catching up on past challenges