Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #96: Who Stole my Latte?

Reinierk
7 - Meteor

First Attempt at a weekly challenge.

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

This is technically my 3rd time solving this one: Once in preparation for the Seattle Alteryx User Group meeting where I demo'ed this challenge... once in the meeting with the awesome ideas and suggestions from our fabulous AUG members... and now third time's the charm! I challenged myself to solve it this time without any of the official spatial tools, just for kicks, and did my best to economize on the number of tools. 

Spoiler
I actually didn't even use the ST_ spatial formulas in my first attempt, using some good ol' Pythagorean theory instead to get the distance from point A to point B based on changes in Lat/Lon. Still was able to get to the same answer, but noticed that it knocked a few close contenders out of the race due to differences in distance based on that whole uneven-round-earth thing... so I reverted back to the ST_ spatial formulas for my final solution. 

WeeklyChallenge96.JPGWeeklyChallenge96Workflow.JPG

This also feels like the right time to make the rather embarrassing admission that I don't even like Pumpkin Spice Lattes... but "Who Stole my Cup of Tea with a Splash of Cream and Excessive Amounts of Sugar" seemed like a bit of a long title. :)

Was fun having everyone in our User Group as well as the Community at large play along with this one! Thanks everyone!!

Cheers,

NJ

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

This was a fun one! Here's my solution.

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 10.35.36.png
TimM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Spoiler
image.png

elamm43
7 - Meteor

I love spatial match.

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Fun challenge! My first instinct was to check if anyone was foolish enough to save the image with "PSL" in the name.

But then I ran a more proper analysis, using filters, find nearest, and examining the downloaded images. Great practice with RegEx and Spatial tools, and made myself use reporting tools (my least favorite category)

Spoiler
image.png
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Found the culprit... evidence attached.

Spoiler
The workflowThe workflowThe outputThe output

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Didn't see the name in the file - but got the matching phone number - and culprit!

Natasha
9 - Comet

Really enjoyed this one! 

Spoiler
Didn't realise at first that the theft location was not given
Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 22.03.29.png
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

That was a good exercise NJ - thank you!  ( @NicoleJohnson )

The lesson is to never trust your co-workers with your coffee - keep your valuables with you at all times (and I include coffee as "valuable")

Spoiler

2017-12-31_12-42-31.png2017-12-31_12-42-01.png