This site uses different types of cookies, including analytics and functional cookies (its own and from other sites). To change your cookie settings or find out more, click here. If you continue browsing our website, you accept these cookies.
We're actively looking for ideas on how to improve Weekly Challenges and would love to hear what you think!Submit Feedback
Interesting challenge. I went for 961 drawings to have a nice 31x31 square. Runs in <5 sec with "true heatmap" and in ~2 sec with pseudo heatmap.
I seem unable to upload my workflow, so here is a link https://dsmdaviz.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/solved%2395.yxmd
So many apples! Took some work, had to peek at some others' solutions for ideas with the reporting tools, as I haven't used those as much, but got it done.
Here is my solution...
It draws and generates the file in 6.2 seconds or so... the only issue is that they are divided in rows of 27 starting on the left... not sure how you got them to more or less align left and right...
The original apples are in red but the report map object I used to get them to the layout puts them in black...
This was quite tricky at first but glad to have finally got the output that I wanted.
OMG that was sooooo hard @JoeM !! I used so many tools/processes for the first time. Macros. Spatial tools. Reporting. Parsing... Heatmaps!! The only thing I slightly cheated with (maybe) was reading the apples file (I chucked it into excel via a text edit tool). I don't love my final output (gotta do some work on harnessing those reporting tools) but I was mighty stoked when I got it all to run in ca 15s! :)
Oh wow! I just checked your solution @JoeM and I would never have thought to use the layout tools to group individually mapped apples like that. I took a completely different approach, using my macro to shift the x and y coordinates of each apple and then creating a single map with the lot of them. Gotta say though, my workflow ran a good 10 seconds faster ;)
Thanks - I really learnt a huge amount from this challenge!