Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #95: Draw 1000 Apples in Under 60 Seconds

dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Interesting challenge. I went for 961 drawings to have a nice 31x31 square. Runs in <5 sec with "true heatmap" and in ~2 sec with pseudo heatmap.

Spoiler
Added a couple of formulas before the "create points" to create the "small multiple" look and feel.
Workflow - detour to choose true/pseudo heatmapWorkflow - detour to choose true/pseudo heatmapResult with pseudoheatmap (should be green, but it fails to maintain the color --reported bug)Result with pseudoheatmap (should be green, but it fails to maintain the color --reported bug)True heatmapTrue heatmap

I seem unable to upload my workflow, so here is a link https://dsmdaviz.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/solved%2395.yxmd

Justin_0
8 - Asteroid

So many apples!  Took some work, had to peek at some others' solutions for ideas with the reporting tools, as I haven't used those as much, but got it done.

Spoiler
95.jpg
PrivateStorm
8 - Asteroid

My solution to challenge #95 is attached. This was a really difficult challenge but I was able to solve it without peeking at the solution.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Apples to spare!

Apples.pngHeat Map.png

Spoiler
Solution.png

Dan

pasccout
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution...

It draws and generates the file in 6.2 seconds or so... the only issue is that they are divided in rows of 27 starting on the left... not sure how you got them to more or less align left and right...

The original apples are in red but the report map object I used to get them to the layout puts them in black...

Spoiler
I basically built the apples one by one by record... got the corners... added the most right point of the first apple to the second one... rebuilt all apples and grouped them.

For rows, I got the tallest apple and added that to the next line.
RichoBsJ
11 - Bolide

Really fun challenge, I learned a lot of things!

Spoiler
apple.PNGworkflow.PNG
ipeng
8 - Asteroid

Still learning all these reporting tools. But I made it!

JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

This was quite tricky at first but glad to have finally got the output that I wanted.

Spoiler
challenge_95.PNG
HuwHallam
8 - Asteroid

OMG that was sooooo hard @JoeM !! I used so many tools/processes for the first time. Macros. Spatial tools. Reporting. Parsing... Heatmaps!! The only thing I slightly cheated with (maybe) was reading the apples file (I chucked it into excel via a text edit tool). I don't love my final output (gotta do some work on harnessing those reporting tools) but I was mighty stoked when I got it all to run in ca 15s! :)

HuwHallam
8 - Asteroid

Oh wow! I just checked your solution @JoeM and I would never have thought to use the layout tools to group individually mapped apples like that. I took a completely different approach, using my macro to shift the x and y coordinates of each apple and then creating a single map with the lot of them. Gotta say though, my workflow ran a good 10 seconds faster ;)

Thanks - I really learnt a huge amount from this challenge!