Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #91: Getting into the Weeds

kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

Whew, this one was a doozy! I got some good practice on interface tools and reporting tools!

I did a few things differently than the solution in prepping the data:

Spoiler
* Grouped on year based on DATE (not on filename), since the 2012 file contains 2011 and 2012 data
* Stacked the primary and secondary weed types (the solution uses only the primary weed)

* I wasn't sure how to summarize the data, since there were multiple records per route and weed type. I tried looking around the CDOT website, but couldn't get a detailed explanation of the fields. I summarized by route and weed two ways:
    1) max coverage across the route -- OR --
    2) weighted average coverage using the coverage upper bound and length of road (for example, if the total route is 10 miles,and 2 miles had 0-20% coverage and 8 miles had 20-40% coverage, then the weighted average would be (2 * 20% + 8 * 40%) / 10 = 36% weighted coverage)

Interface:

Spoiler
challenge_91_input_form.PNG

Output:

Spoiler
challenge_91_output_1_table.PNG

challenge_91_output_2_map.PNG

Workflow:

Spoiler
Data prep

challenge_91_1_prep.png

Inputs/interface prep
challenge_91_2_inputs.PNG

Chart output:
challenge_91_3_bar chart.PNG

Table and map output:
challenge_91_3_table and map.png

ipeng
8 - Asteroid

My app is pretty basic but it does the work

olivia_paquot
8 - Asteroid

RichoBsJ
11 - Bolide

Hi! Here my solution :)

JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

Struggled to recreate the chart using the Interactive Chart tool so decided to produce another table instead.

Spoiler
challenge_91.PNG
HuwHallam
8 - Asteroid

My solution - finally got there!

TimothyManning
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
91. Apps.png
Used the new interactive chart tool! Not super intuitive, but I managed it in the end
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Again a chance to practice reporting tools ... and some other, I don't use daily

Spoiler
03-07-_2019_21-11-41.png
RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

I spent too much time figuring out that I can't build that side-by-side bar graph in Alteryx. Unless anyone figured out how to do it, I will stick with Tableau for visualisations. At least, I tried to batch build line charts (more suitable  in my opinion) and the percentages are from centered values from within the ranges.

Here's my take

Spoiler
91.png
Eleonora
8 - Asteroid

Nice practice off interface and reporting tools

Spoiler
challenge 91 solution Eleonora Nazander.JPG