Weekly Challenge

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!
IDEAS WANTED

We're actively looking for ideas on how to improve Weekly Challenges and would love to hear what you think!

Submit Feedback
We've recently made an accessibility improvement to the community and therefore posts without any content are no longer allowed. Please use the spoiler feature or add a short message in the message body in order to submit your weekly challenge.

Challenge #91: Getting into the Weeds

Highlighted
Sr. Instructional Designer
Sr. Instructional Designer

A big thanks and thumbs up to our Challengers who contributed a submission for our two-part challenge on analyzing social data.  It was wonderful to see how different Challengers approached the data analysis itself and your creativity in displaying your insights!  

 

Some of you may know that my pre-Alteryx days included mapping and analyzing the spread of invasive aquatic species in the state of Texas.  Giant salvinia, hydrilla...this just sounds like the stuff of nightmares.  And, for many aquatic resource specialists, it is!  So, when I found a file from the Colorado Department of Transportation's website on noxious weeds in the state, well, you can imagine my excitement :-)   

 

For this week's Challenge, we'll build an app that would help a potential resource manager understand the coverage of noxious weeds along road segments in Colorado.  Design an app to produce two different outputs based on a users selection to "search by road segment" or "search by weed".  Depending on the selection, the app should produce a chart of the different weeds and their coverage levels (if selecting to search by road segment) or a table of the road segments and coverage of a weed (if choosing to search by weed).    

 

Happy Challenging!  Feel free to up the ante from my suggested outputs to maps, additional output information, or more aesthetically pleasing reports! 

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

I spend way too much time then I expected on reporting tools. Also, I've noticed that the file with 2012 Coverage contains dates from 2011. I left them as is, so my results are a little bit different from the output file.

 

Spoiler
I used the detour tool to switch between search by route or by weed number, added a few interface tools and then spent a lot of time guessing how the data should look like for a bar chart. It also called column chart, not a bar chart..

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 23.42.49.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-23 at 23.43.13.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-23 at 23.43.54.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-23 at 23.44.47.png
Highlighted
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar
Spoiler
This was a good challenge and enabled me to learn about the plot data by field option!challenge 91.PNG
Highlighted
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Here's my go at it

Spoiler

TableTable
GraphGraphWorkflowWorkflow
Highlighted
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

My solution! 

 

Spoiler
WeeklyChallenge91.JPG

Cheers,

NJ

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

I left this for ages because it looked like it would require some brain power to complete but it was actually fairly straightforward. I enjoyed the challenge of trying to run different workflows dependant on the user input.

 

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 91.pngWeekly Challenge 91 Chart.pngWeekly Challenge 91 List.png
Highlighted
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Added a little map of the coverage for the weeds table. We had the spatial data, so decided to use it. Fun challenge with the interface tools, and great practice loading in lists (in cleaned up format) from existing data!

Spoiler
Coverage for Ox Eye Daisy:
image.png
Route 036B:
image.png
My app:
image.png


Alteryx Certified Partner

I really did get into the weeds on this one. Solution attached.

 

Spoiler
What a mess...What a mess...
Highlighted
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

It was fun seeing how different folk tackled the challenge of populating the drop-down boxes.

 

@ChristineB - if you still have a passion for noxious weeds - there's some here in Bangalore that you could take a look at in a local lake near us - the lake recently caught fire because the weeds were trapping nasty pollutants in the water and it all reached flame-point

 

Spoiler

2017-12-25_21-29-52.png2017-12-25_21-31-08.png2017-12-25_21-33-29.png2017-12-25_21-35-25.png2017-12-25_21-36-43.png2017-12-25_21-30-35.png

Highlighted
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

Forgot to rename file with gg_finish.  Learned a lot about reporting tools in this exercise.