Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #9: Analytics Ranking

rijuthav
6 - Meteoroid

My solution.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Welcome to the community Rijutha - and congratulations on your first solutions; and first 2 badges! :-)

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I also like the Tile solution to provide a rank field

Anurag
6 - Meteoroid

This was the easy one. Done in Three Steps.

MarvinPinto
6 - Meteoroid

Found 2 approaches to solve this. Interesting way to solve the problem using the multi-row formula @seanadams

DE0413
8 - Asteroid

Again, maybe not the cleanest solution, but it works :)

Spoiler
Week9SolutionPicture.png
raj_k
6 - Meteoroid

Nice way to leverage Tile widget, tried using 'Manual' tile method only to realize that 'Unique value' method allows users to group the similar values together and rank them. Tip - check 'Leave Unsorted' box, else output shows anomalies

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Solution:

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 9.png
KOBoyle
11 - Bolide

Solution attached.  Interesting dialog on this one.  I went with my first inclination which was to use the Multi-row Formula tool.  Anticipating what I thought would be the problem that Rachel mentioned of getting the rank of 1 on the first row, I assigned a record id first, and then set the rank to 1 IF [RecordID] = 1.  Upon closer examination of Rachel's solution, I realized that by default the Multi-Row tool property for 'Values for Rows that don't Exist' set the [Row-1:count] value to zero which led to a calc of (0 + 1) for the Rank assigned to the first row.

However, I take issue with this challenge because this is not how ranks are assigned, even in golf.  Generally, in the case of ties ranks are skipped.  To achieve the standard ranking, then the approach I took using the Record Id and a simple revision to the multi-row formula work perfectly, returning the following output.  The provided solution and the Tile tool do not adjust so well.  Let's keep it real :)

FirstcountRank

JANET

MARK171
PAUL153
BRADY144
CARLA144
CHRIS144
LINDA144

With the following record being

DALE138

Ken

A_Twa