Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #89: Analyzing Social Data

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A solution to last week's Challenge has been posted HERE!

This week’s Challenge is a bit different from the norm.  This week, you’ll pick your own Challenge!

We’ve gathered a week’s worth of Twitter data using 10 different hashtags that relate to the most recent meeting of the United Nations General Assembly.  This meeting brought world leaders and diplomats together to discuss a variety of humanitarian concerns which, as you can imagine, generated engagement across social media networks like Twitter.  For this challenge, we collected the most recent data on #hashtags related to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.

We’re curious to see what kinds of insights you, the Alteryx Community, derive from the datasets.  Is your Challenge simply to cleanse and organize the data?  Awesome!  Is your Challenge to apply your knowledge of social media analysis to this dataset?  Great!  Is your Challenge to create an app to allow an end user to pull the relevant tweets by date or keyword?  That’s fantastic!  We’re excited to see how you Challenge yourself this week. 

As a heads up: this week’s Challenge is only the beginning of our data mining adventure!  This week, your Challenge is to prepare your data in any way, shape or form for next week’s Challenge: visualizing the data in a platform of your choice (Tableau, Alteryx, Plotly, GIF, etc).  We look forward to seeing your data manipulation prowess on display this week, and your creative ways to visualize data the next week!   

When you're ready, share your unique "solution" by posting your workflow and describing what your next steps will be for visually displaying your findings. 

E_Logo_No UN Emblem-01.png

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hi @ChristineB,

The input files aren't working, can package the workflow up?

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks to everyone who alerted me that the input files were missing!  My Challenge for this week: successfully sharing input data in a workflow :)  Now, it's your turn! 

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

New start file added to address some issues with Tweet and User IDs represented in scientific notation...

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

The attached package has .yxdb files that were generated for the same keywords using the Alteryx Twitter Search app from the Gallery at https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Twitter-Search/574db168a248970bdc36d527

The downside is the attached data files are from a different time frame, since the free API only searches 7 days back. The upside is no data loss issues in the ID or Unicode text.

vishalgupta
7 - Meteor

Standardised city and country using Wikipedia lists and created simple report on top trending hashtags, most re tweeted tweet and comparison on number of tweets from different countries/cities

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
I cleaned up the data by using only one input tool, parsing out the hashtags, converting the date/time to Alteryx, removing nulls and bad characters (?), and summarizing the hashtags by input file.  
Capture.PNG
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Did some very simple data cleansing, and then used Tableau to look for patterns in the data.

Focussed on tweets over time (time of day, and retweets over time); and on the hashtags that got to the most followers

With this one - now caught up with the challenges; and with the leaders ( @NicoleJohnson ; @patrick_digan ; @estherb47 ; @LordNeilLord - and @nick_ceneviva is catching up very fast!)

2017-10-11_12-49-09.png2017-10-11_12-49-27.png

Spoiler

2017-10-11_12-43-54.png

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@patrick_digan I will try to get to this one later... @MarqueeCrew

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I went for the "sustainability is a form of artistic expression" route, and channeled King Triton in my workflow design (although lets be honest, Ariel was really the one with the penchant for reducing-reusing-recycling with her stash of treasure...). At any rate, after a little data cleanup I prepared a few branches illustrating the type of insights I expect to include in Weekly Challenge #90, but also sent the results to a .yxdb file for easy visualizing next week. Thanks for starting us on such an interesting challenge, @ChristineB - fun to be a little more creative this week!

Spoiler
Data cleanup included: Date formatting, Parsing the hashtags and then grouping by all fields to remove duplicate entries (based on information from the same tweet potentially appearing in more than one source file). 

Possible insights: Top 5 Tweets based on # of Retweets, Top 10 Hashtags by order of popularity based on # Tweets, Top 5 Favorite Tweets, Most Active Tweeter, and Most Active Retweeter.

WeeklyChallenge89.PNG

ariel quote.PNG

Cheers,

NJ