Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #88: Counting Combinations

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Wow!  Thanks to everyone who posted their solution to last Week's Challenge here!  It was great to see everyone's creativity and different approaches to solving a problem.  We had some submissions for different locations (and hemispheres!), as well as some tweaks to put a unique analytical spin on the original problem.  We also had some new Challengers!  Woohoo! 

This week's Challenge was inspired by a recent conversation I had with an Alteryx user at Inspire in London a few weeks ago.  In this case, he wanted to figure out how many combinations of products he had in a dataset.  We spoke about a few different approaches, and I'm curious to see how the Community responds to this Challenge.  Have you had a use case where you've needed to accomplish something similar?  What other tweaks can you think of that might make this Challenge relevant for other tasks?  

The Input dataset contains a list of twenty (20) transactions.  Each transaction contains a list of items that a customer purchased at the market.  How many combinations of the same objects were purchased?  In this case, the order does not matter.  That is, the combination of "carrots, tea, shampoo" is the same as "shampoo, carrots, tea".    

David-Carnes
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
088.PNG
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
A straightforward answer wasn't coming to me, so this kinda happened
Capture.PNG
EDIT: I realized on lunch break that crosstabbing my data made more sense. The unique tool solution would require you to check all the fields that come out of the crosstab so it's not dynamic.
Capture.PNG
nick_ceneviva
11 - Bolide

Solution is attached and screenshot below:

Spoiler
Capture.PNG
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Spoiler
2017-10-02_17-40-36.jpg
Niklas
8 - Asteroid

Solution and picture

Spoiler
Challenge_88.PNG
lminors
9 - Comet

Nice simple solution. Wonder if it could be done with fewer tools. HMU if you manage a smaller workflow!

Spoiler
WC 88WC 88

Cheers @ChristineB!

Best,

Luke - Keyrus UK

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Ended up being much easier than I first thought!

weekly challenge 88.PNG
Ukashi
8 - Asteroid
Nice challenge, second week, second challenge for me. Hopefully it will become a habit :)
Spoiler
 challange #88 Solution.png
samjohnson
7 - Meteor

I think I followed a few others with my solution, which started as over-complicated, and then I remembered I could summarize on a concatenation.