Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #87: Losing Daylight

elamm43
7 - Meteor

The first time I did it I used a reflexive join - it's much better with the Multi-Row Formula Tool! I'm glad the challenge helped me learn something new.

dricke
5 - Atom

i think this works..

Spoiler
image.png
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It's been awhile, what with work getting in the way.

Right, this is probably exactly the same as other solutions but here goes:

Spoiler
I first used the date parser to convert the sunrise and sunset times. I then used a datetimediff() to determine the length of the day. I then used a multi-row formula to determine the difference in day length from one day to the next, used a separate stream into a summary tool to determine the overall total of minutes different and unioned the streams. Fairly straightforward:

Solution.PNG

Bulien

M-Shedid
5 - Atom

Here goes to the first challenge :-) and hopefully many more to come

-->Updated file has the sum of difference, which was missing from the first  :)

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Working my way backwards in time ...

Spoiler
2017-10-03_19-11-11.jpg
Natasha
9 - Comet

Took me quite some time to figure out the proper syntax for the AM/PM identifier, as I did all the formatting in the formula tool.

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 22.49.13.png
JonM
8 - Asteroid

My solution is not as elegant as the majority that are here, however it should be dynamic enough to work fine with the next months data :) specifically changing the September Total to October Total.

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

A nice one to get the brain working, I wanted the datetime tool to be more flexible in accepting am|pm and outputting as 24hr...sadly it was not therefore more work for me!  @Ned can this be a thing?

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 87.png
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Not sure if this is relevant, but there's a conversion for a 24 hour clock format which is datetimeformat(<field>,"%H"). This should give you 00 to 23 hours.

Bulien

palessio
5 - Atom
Spoiler
challange_87_solution_file_Piero_Alessio.PNG

I converted everything to Alteryx Date format, so that we can also explore the result set in other tools (e.g. Tableau)