Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #87: Losing Daylight

elamm43
7 - Meteor

The first time I did it I used a reflexive join - it's much better with the Multi-Row Formula Tool! I'm glad the challenge helped me learn something new.

dricke
5 - Atom

i think this works..

Spoiler
image.png
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It's been awhile, what with work getting in the way.

Right, this is probably exactly the same as other solutions but here goes:

Spoiler
I first used the date parser to convert the sunrise and sunset times. I then used a datetimediff() to determine the length of the day. I then used a multi-row formula to determine the difference in day length from one day to the next, used a separate stream into a summary tool to determine the overall total of minutes different and unioned the streams. Fairly straightforward:

Solution.PNG

Bulien

M-Shedid
5 - Atom

Here goes to the first challenge :-) and hopefully many more to come

-->Updated file has the sum of difference, which was missing from the first  :)

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Working my way backwards in time ...

Spoiler
2017-10-03_19-11-11.jpg
Natasha
9 - Comet

Took me quite some time to figure out the proper syntax for the AM/PM identifier, as I did all the formatting in the formula tool.

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 22.49.13.png
JonM
8 - Asteroid

My solution is not as elegant as the majority that are here, however it should be dynamic enough to work fine with the next months data :) specifically changing the September Total to October Total.

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

A nice one to get the brain working, I wanted the datetime tool to be more flexible in accepting am|pm and outputting as 24hr...sadly it was not therefore more work for me!  @Ned can this be a thing?

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 87.png
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Not sure if this is relevant, but there's a conversion for a 24 hour clock format which is datetimeformat(<field>,"%H"). This should give you 00 to 23 hours.

Bulien

palessio
5 - Atom
Spoiler
challange_87_solution_file_Piero_Alessio.PNG

I converted everything to Alteryx Date format, so that we can also explore the result set in other tools (e.g. Tableau)