Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #87: Losing Daylight

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Welcome, @Ukashi!  Glad to have another Weekly Challenger join the fun! 

lminors
9 - Comet
Spoiler
WC87_LM.JPG

Interested to see how everyone else approached this as there are endless ways to do it.

Thanks,

Luke - Keyrus UK

Niklas
8 - Asteroid

I went for a fairly spelled-out approach to make it well understandable. Interested in what others did.

Spoiler
Challenge_87.PNG
Inactive User
Not applicable

Attached are my solutions to my first Weekly Challenge. I created two solutions; the first uses the existing data set and the second uses sunrise/sunset data from three cities around the world, including one that is the southern hemisphere. As such, the days in Johannesburg are growing longer as ours are growing shorter.  This is my first challenge and as such, I probably over-complicated the solutions. However, I had a fun time creating clean Data and DateTime fields. 

Inactive User
Not applicable

I really like your spelled out approach. It was extremely easy to read and understand. 

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Took a slightly different approach, and transposed the times into one column to parse and prep with one formula tool.

Spoiler
The trick to then calculating the length of daytime is to negate the sunrise, so that the cross tab tool is adding the negative sunrise and positive sunset. Joined back together.

Then my solution is like the others. Multi-Row, Unionimage.png
samjohnson
7 - Meteor

Enjoyed the other solutions and I went a slightly different direction, using the Running Total tool to show the cumulative minutes lost through each day of the month! I also used the Text to Column tool with multiple separators to pull out the time. Great challenge.

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Inactive User, congrats on completing your first Challenge!  Glad to have you joining in the fun!

EmanueleE
8 - Asteroid

I tried to solve it, without Summarize Tool or DateTime Tool.

Spoiler
#WC87-EE.PNG

vishalgupta
7 - Meteor