Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #87: Losing Daylight

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The solution to last week's Challenge can be found HERE!

It's that time of year again....the leaves are starting to change color, the smell of pumpkin spice is in the air, and the amount of daylight for @JoeM's post-work bike rides is getting smaller and smaller.  Just how much daylight did we lose this month?  Take this week's Challenge to find out!  Using the Input data provided, calculate the amount of daylight for each day in September, as well as the day-to-day differences in daylight and the total difference from September 1 to September 30. 

*If you'd like to use a dataset for your location, you can download data on sunrise/sunset times from this site: https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/ for US-based users.   

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

I seem to be in a minority, but I love this time of year.  Anyway, here's my solution:

Spoiler
challenge_87.png

David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

I,  too, like Autumn, when the heat and humidity of Summer begin to subside.

Spoiler
087 spoiler.PNG 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

I wanted to calculate things quickly.  I didn't constrain myself to the desired output format, but rather showed the difference between start and total time on a daily basis.

It is getting dark earlier, that's for sure.  But there is a silver lining in that story.  As you near the equator (get further from freezing weather), Summer days are shorter.  In other words, there's another reason to want to be in Michigan.  Of course, the opposite is true during the winter.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
nick_ceneviva
11 - Bolide

Solution is attached. Loved that the challenge included adding a total row as this is something commonly asked on the discussion board.

Spoiler
Challenge87.PNG

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution! I modified the formatting of the end result a bit to show the am/pm for clarity on Sunrise/Sunset times and modified the Date column to include "Sep" in the date, rather than just the day of the month.

Spoiler
WeeklyChallenge87.JPG
JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@MarqueeCrew.... shhhhh - keep it down.... no one needs to know about Michigan summers. ;)

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I was able to make use of some macros I had already worked on in the past. I used the given data and ran it again for Fort Wayne data. Pretty cool!

Spoiler
weekly challenge 87.PNG

Ukashi
8 - Asteroid

Ok here we go - my first challange, Not sure how to  hide my solution with neat "Spoiler" thing, so I'm attaching solution as file.

I've took sunrise and sunset data for Poland :)