Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #84: Map Hurricane Harvey's Storm Evolution

bmcclelland46
10 - Fireball

Didn't go through every solution but the first few cited differences in the averages. Not sure if it was a weighted average by the length of each segment? Would be a good way to calc but in the lack of instruction in the description accompanied by my my lack of meteorology experience, I just used the average function in the summarize tool.

Spoiler
bmcclelland46_0-1596509782047.png

JethroChen
10 - Fireball
Spoiler
challenge_84_jc.PNG
DataHabanero
9 - Comet

Ready! Pretty simple!

mithily
8 - Asteroid

Basically used the multi-row to flag changed rows, then added a row id using rowid tool, then used a polybuild to make the lines and then output to report map. I thought I needed the values of prior and current intensity so thats what I took using multi row and then calculated average.Capture.PNG

Nicholas_Norton
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
 snaps56_2-1599184057898.pngsnaps56_3-1599184076752.png

I had to cheat a bit to find the answer (credit to @JethroChen), but to prevent the line segments from having spaces, you have to get the first point of the next section and add it to the current one. I saw a couple different ways of doing this. One of which included using Batch Macros, which I don't fully understand, but would like to attempt it at a later time. Overall, it was a very rewarding experience! Good luck!

snaps56_0-1599183909625.png

I had a difficult time getting rid of the spaces in between, but I had fun with the challenge overall!

jimmygatliff
6 - Meteoroid

This one was tough! Took a while to figure out how to make one separate line per segment, rather than just a full line for the entire path.

dombaikamilla
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
84.PNG
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My Solution.

Spoiler
I think the calculation of average Intensity is more simple.

AkimasaKajitani_0-1600599215956.png
AkimasaKajitani_1-1600599227996.png

ClintonF
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Spoiler
challenge_84_CF.JPG
Clinton Fisher
Manager, Customer Success Management
Alteryx, Inc.

Billigans