Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #84: Map Hurricane Harvey's Storm Evolution

lminors
9 - Comet

Solution attached. Took a while to get it perfect.

Spoiler
84 workflow.PNG84 map.PNG

Seemed counter-intuitive to duplicate the rows where the segment changes but that way it allows you to have start and end points at the same location.

Thanks!

Luke - Keyrus UK

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

My stab at this. 

Spoiler
To "connect the lines" and ensure that the average intensity is calculated for each segment including the end points that connect, I decided to generate a new row for each individual segment. It would take on one higher sequence number than the original highest sequence number per segment, and then copy in the first intensity and spatial object from the first sequence of the next segment.

image.png
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution for Harvey.

Spoiler
Thought I had it done in simple 3-4 tool workflow until I realized there were gaps between the segments... so I created new points for each segment that corresponded to the start point of the next segment.

WeeklyChallenge84.JPG

vishalgupta
7 - Meteor

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Most of the tools are there to get the line segments fixed to match the solution which corrects for gaps.
Capture2.PNGCapture.PNG
Natasha
9 - Comet

This was an interesting challenge, had to iterate on this one.

Spoiler
At first, it looked straightforward to me, but my lines had gaps between them. This happened because I treated each segments as completely separate line. Segment 4 had no line at all, as it consisted of one point only.
Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 23.46.15.png
This made me think that I need to connect each segment with the previous one. The end point of one segment should be exactly the same as the beginning of the next segment. I duplicated first rows for all the segments (except the first one), adjusted segment and sequence number and then run all the rows through my original workflow. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 00.03.18.png
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Most of it was pretty straight forward except for getting the continuous line, I had the logic in my head but trying to implement it caused a few re-works of the workflow

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 84.png
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

like @nick_ceneviva@David-Carnes & @lminors (and most of the other folk) I took a few more steps to make sure the lines all touched by backing a copy of the last point of segment 2 back into segment 1

@ChristineB 's solution does the same, but WAY more elegantly than me :-)

Spoiler

2017-10-10_10-12-15.png

dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Not sure I entirely agree that the solution provided satisfies the instructions given (adding that extra point to the segment). Fun nevertheless...

LandonG
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached.