Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #84: Map Hurricane Harvey's Storm Evolution

MichaD
8 - Asteroid

My solution:

CR_Marland
8 - Asteroid

Got the same numbers, seemed an odd methodology though

Spoiler
84 solution.PNG
izamryan
8 - Asteroid

This is a tough one!

The first time I tried to solve this I got different averages than the solution: that's because the "window" on which the average is calculated differed in my first attempt than in the provided solution.

This is also a good challenge to practice some initial data exploration when you first get the data. When I first opened the Starter workbook, I started by playing around with the data at first with the Data Investigation tools. I left my Interactive Report on the canvas as this one I found to be the most useful.

Spoiler
izamryan_0-1590758262654.png

The trick with this one is to redefine the "window" of which the average is calculated: it has to include the "changeover" nodes in the map. 

I think I need to revisit this at some point - I tried to "shave" the polygon object to make it more of a line instead of the funky filled shape that I have here. Also - could I use the Tile tool to construct the sequence instead?

Shout out to @nick_ceneviva for his solution to give me the idea to redefine the "window"

terry10
11 - Bolide

Good spatial challenge!

Spoiler
ss 84.PNG

Jur
7 - Meteor

My solution:

Spoiler
Challenge_84_JP.PNG
black28
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
Spoiler
black28_0-1593212355531.png

Tberney
8 - Asteroid

Hello everyone. Once again, I am respectfully disagreeing with the results provided with the problem. Loved the problem though, I lived through Harvey and played host to 4 displaced families during the flood. Thankfully no damage to my home. 

The provided solution seems to have messed up average intensity results while building the map. Have a look inside the spoiler for my reasoning.

Attached solution provides both computations - the one matching the specified solution (upper right) and the one that I think is correct (lower right).

Spoiler

The solution calls for creating overlapping polylines so that the map will not have gaps between the segments. It does this by adding the first point of the subsequent segment to the previous segment, extending each polyline over the beginning of the next one. This is fine and fair enough.

The thing is, it messes up the average intensity results by including the first point of the next segment in the computation. This is not right. I have included a version which excludes the additional point. 

Tberney_0-1593463860299.png

iamme012397
8 - Asteroid

No need for another filter tool just add sample , get the first of each sequence and union them then get the average

FlorianC
Alteryx
Alteryx

This goes to show how analytics can help save lives.

Spoiler
WorkflowWorkflow
Florian Carrier
Strategic Solution Consultant
Alteryx
phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

It took me a second to figure out how the averages were being calculated.

Spoiler
84.PNG