Weekly Challenge

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!
New content is available in Academy! You may need to clear your browser cache for an optimal viewing experience

Challenge #84: Map Hurricane Harvey's Storm Evolution

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

My solution:

Spoiler
challenge 84.jpg
*I didn't used the [Intensity] values from the created rows in the calculated average

Asteroid

I do not get the opportunity to to use spatial data in my day job, so always enjoy these spacial challenges!

Spoiler
Always surprised by the power of the summarise tool!
Highlighted
Alteryx Partner
Spoiler
week 84.PNG
Highlighted
Castor
Castor

Gotta love those spatial tools.  Aside from the average intensity difference that several people have mentioned, my solution also show the start points to delineate  each segment on the map

Map.png

Spoiler
Solution 84.png

Dan

Highlighted
Asteroid

Here's my solution :)

Spoiler
Challenge 84.jpg
Highlighted
Alteryx Partner
Spoiler
Capture.PNG

I went with the "minimum number of tools" solution in this case, going with just 2 tools to calculate the average per segment. The numbers don't add up identical, as the solution doesn't just take the average within the segment but + the first value of the next segment. I chose against that as it would mean using the same datapoint for two calculations which in my opinion introduces a bias towards specific dates in the dataset.

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

took me a while to figure out how to make those stupid lines connected :) Also added an extra average intensity field, reflecting intensity by storm type.

Spoiler
ch84.png
Highlighted
Bolide

Cheers!

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

Highlighted
Asteroid