Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #82: Are You in the Path of the Solar Eclipse?

RichoBsJ
11 - Bolide

Hi! Here my solution :)

I've plotted the boundaries, and calcutaed the distance from those to my secret position

OldDogNewTricks
10 - Fireball

My solution attached...interesting.

princejindal
9 - Comet

Great challenge and fun with the maps!

cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

When the eclipse happened, I was much close than I am now (Arkansas vs Texas). 

Spoiler
I struggled a bit with the conversion as I was missing the fact that the longitude's needed to be multiplied by -1. Had to look up the conversion online.
Challenge 82.PNG
DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I initially got really weird distance values - then it turned out I put the "Line" where it should be a point or centroid. Strange that the workflow still ran - something new for me.

Spoiler
Sol82.PNG
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

My solution is attached.

Spoiler
Similar to a few other people I created a polygon in addition to the lines to be able to use spatial tools to determine if a point was in the path of the eclipse. I built the lines and points first and then intersected the objects with US boundaries to make sure I caught the coastal areas. An alternative to building the polygon might have been to measure the distance to all three lines. If the distance to the center line was smaller than the distance to the north line or the distance to the south line then you would be in the region of totality.
KMiller
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached with a phony US address as I live in Jersey, Channel Islands.

Spoiler
23-05-2019 09-12-46.png
Ozzy_Campos
8 - Asteroid

Great challenge, issues with parsing at beginning and understanding what went where, but learned a lot.  

TimothyManning
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
82. Spatial.PNG
Couldn't get the polygon to work at the end, but used polylines instead. Needed to remove the null rows to get rid of the "Non point object in polybuild" error