Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #82: Are You in the Path of the Solar Eclipse?

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Fun exercise!  Would have had to travel several hours to be in the path - but I hear it would have been worth it!

samN
10 - Fireball

spatial, always a struggle for me.

jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Solution attached.

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

This one took me a while but I'm pleased with the outcome. Rather than simply plotting the lines I decided to use the northern and southern limits to create a polygon representing the area of totality.

If the user selects a point within the totality, a distance of 0 is returned, and if they select a point outside of the totality the smallest distance to the area of totality is returned.

I decided not to limit the region to the US mainland as that resulted in some coastal regions not being properly covered by the polygon. Another option would have been to keep the first point outside the US mainland but that seemed like overkill.

Here's my solution:

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 14.10.32.png

Result for point outside the totality:

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 14.02.36.png

Result for point inside the totality:

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 13.59.07.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-03 at 14.00.42.png

derekbelyea
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
2018-01-18_00283.png
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Challenge Completed

CHarrison
8 - Asteroid

As a Brit, it didn't make much sese to calculate my distance from the solar eclipse, so I chose to calculate the distance from the current hometown of Isaac Brock, my favourite American musician, who coincidentally lives only 21 miles from the path! 

dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

This was fun.

Even if I was on the wrong side of the ocean...

.Where I was vs Where Should I've beenWhere I was vs Where Should I've been

Spoiler
Solar Eclipse PolygonSolar Eclipse Polygon82.png

neilgallen
12 - Quasar

I was only 41 miles away from the total path, but things where we were was still very impressive.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

No glasses for me. Just a normal sunny day

Map.png

Spoiler
Solution 82.png

Dan