Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #81: Multi-Level Bill of Materials Problem

kat
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
Always good to prcatice iterative macro skills
Challenge #81 - macro.PNGChallenge #81.PNG
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Woohoo.  1st iterative macro!  

I set this one aside after trying it about a month ago, when I first started Alteryx. While I've developed many recursive solutions in my time, they were always in procedural languages.  This is the first one I've tried in a declarative language.  I had trouble mapping the looping,data set reduction and stop conditions that I was familiar with to their Alteryx equivalents. 

A little patience and a lot of practice and I know how many wheel washers go on a car! 

Spoiler
CarBuilder.pngSolution 81.png

Dan

KOBoyle
11 - Bolide

Solution attached. I took the macro approach as this seemed like the real-life approach to a real-life problem. I was interested to see if any of the standard workflow approaches accomplished a flexible (i.e. variable number of levels), recursive join. The solutions using multiple Join tools appeared to be hard-coded to four levels. Other solutions appeared to assume that the Line Id had intelligence were always in a particular order, and possibly that a single part did not appear in multiple BOMs. The solution from @patrick_digan appears to accomplish a flexible, recursive join, but it was very hard to follow and I'm not sure the concatenated List field could handle any volume of BOMs. I would be interested to know if a standard SQL recursive query can be accomplished in a standard Alteryx workflow.

Spoiler
challenge_81_spoiler_KO.png
JoBen
11 - Bolide

Cheers!

mix_pix
10 - Fireball

Working through the steps to get to the 4 levels in the provided data made it really clear how to convert the repeated steps into an iterative macro.

Spoiler
challenge 81.png
dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Iterative whenever I can...

Spoiler
Main workflowMain workflowIterativeIterative
acrahen
8 - Asteroid

Tough One!

Spoiler
2018-10-15_10-14-00.png
Laurap1228
11 - Bolide

Fun little Parent-Child Iterative Macro

jssandom
8 - Asteroid

The hardest challenge for me so far! and my first iterative macro... thanks to previous posters for the help!

pasccout
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution