Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #77: Extending Spatial Lines

ARussell34
8 - Asteroid

Yes I did use calculus to solve this problem, only realized during a local meeting with other coworkers that use Alteryx that there was a much easier way.

MichaelPilotFreight
8 - Asteroid

Check out my solution!

Erin
9 - Comet

This one tripped me up a little, but got through it!  

EdoardoAversaTIL
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
chal 77.png

LiuZhang
9 - Comet
Spoiler
77.png
r_manju02
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution

Mchappell67
9 - Comet

This one took WWAAAAAYYY too long, but I guess a pretty good training experience...  Like others, started out looking at geometry/trig.  While probably possible, was simply getting too complex.  Ended up going the route others took and used trade area/distances.  My first standard macro, so struggled with that a bit.  I have to remember that the macro acts on the whole dataset, and not just one record at a time, as a function would.

Macro:

Spoiler
 Mchappell67_1-1640922453133.png

To explain the "furthest" calc a bit...  We create the "trade area" around the end point we are considering.  Since it's a circle, we can't find the "furthest" point from the same point - the distances will all be the same.  Instead, we find the furthest distance from the OTHER point.  This SHOULD yield the point that is at the intersection of the existing line if it were to be extended to/through the circle.  Sample below.

Mchappell67_0-1640921207124.png

Mark

davidhardister
8 - Asteroid

yep this one made me quite miserable

davidhardister_0-1641404813437.png

Luke_C
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Luke_C_0-1642016728987.png

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

The Simple solution

Spoiler
MT Solution 77.png

 For some reason I decided to be an over achiever on this challenge for the fun of it and made an app so you could decide your parameters.

Spoiler
MT Solution 77 APP.png