Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #77: Extending Spatial Lines

JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Happy Monday! Last week's solution can be found HERE!

In this week's challenge, a communications company is doing an analysis of fiber runs in the network. The current wiring needs to be extended a certain distance in each direction in a straight line. Take the provided lines and extend them 5 miles on each end. For more intermediate users, create a macro so the user can input the desired extension length for each run.

The output should include:
1. Name of the fiber
2. The original spatial line object
3. The new spatial line object
4. New length of line

gnans19
11 - Bolide

Here's my solution. Attached both workflow and macro

Result.png

Spoiler
Spoiler1.png

map.png

alex
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
I went with finding the slope of the original line and extending it out.  I also decided to use the spatial tools vs. using the spatial formulas.

77a.JPG77b.JPG77c.JPG

Good opportunity to practice with spatial tools that I rarely use.

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

My solution! I started by going down a trigonometry black hole... that didn't work. (Yet.) So I ended up borrowing a few ideas from @gnans19 and @alex, and then focused on streamlining it once I got it working.

I'm convinced there's a trig way to do it though. Stay tuned. :)

Spoiler
WeeklyChallenge77.JPG
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

Here is a route to get slightly more accurate coordinates, I am sure the expressions could be improved to be even more accurate.

Spoiler
andre347
10 - Fireball

Similar approach as one of the workflows above. Good challenge to play with the Spatial tools!

Laurap1228
11 - Bolide

My answer doesn't match exactly, I think it's cause my solution is missing the Smooth tool.

challenge77.jpg

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I started down a trig path too, and will get there (just struggling to remember trig!!).

When that wasn't working, found the same solution as many others, with circles and distances. I suppose that's more of a geometric/geospatial approach.

Still working on doing this with formulas.... to be continued.....

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Like others I decided to try and figure this out using Trig &  Geometery and then I realised than I have no idea what I'm doing, so I stuck to what I know..

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 77.png
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I had a hard time with this one.