Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #77: Extending Spatial Lines

hanykowska
11 - Bolide

That was fun!

Spoiler
image.png
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

My solution using the Trade Area approach

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

I could really use some tutoring regarding trigonometry...

Here's the macro I produced:

Spoiler
77 macro.png
bkclaw113
9 - Comet

Martyn
9 - Comet

This was a bit of a head scratcher at first. I though there may be some clever way of using the spatial tools to extend the lines - and then thought that maybe Mr Pythagoras could help - which he didn't (Long and Lat are not the same unit of measurement). Eventually I decided on a solution that simply used a ratio to extend the points 5 miles in the correct direction - which turned out to be a very simple workflow in the end.

Spoiler
clipboard_image_0.png
Using coordinates for the vertices of the bounding rectangle for each line I could calculate the adjustment for the start and end points and apply it to create the new start and end points.

clipboard_image_1.png

fmeo
8 - Asteroid

Spoiler
77.PNG

Didn't use a macro to complete. Used angle to determine new points which makes the answer just barely off. 

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Similar to approach to what most others seem to have achieved by doing the 'lollipop' approach.

Spoiler
Challenge 77.PNG
Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
RobertoEstrada
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution!

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Challenge 77 is done!

Spoiler
challenge 77 JMS solution.PNG

CaraI
Alteryx
Alteryx

Took a flight, some noodling and getting stuck in Newark airport to finally get this one across the finish line.

Spoiler
77_challenge.jpg