Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #77: Extending Spatial Lines

Karam
8 - Asteroid

Nice challenge :)

JoshuaGostick
11 - Bolide

My solution :)

Spoiler
challenge_77_macro.PNG
cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

This was a fun challenge to use the spatial tools and create an app on top of them! I almost did it incorrectly as I missed the 5 miles "on both sides". I was thinking extend it in one way and then didn't match the answer. Gotta read all the directions more!

Spoiler
Challenge 77 app.PNG
princejindal
9 - Comet

Great challenge to creatively use the trade area tool and the smooth tool, thanks!

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I found this one quite tricky, spent a long time trying to match up the angles of points without success.

Spoiler
challenge 77.PNG
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
Thought my approach may be a little unconventional, but looks like others had very similar workflows!

Capture.PNG
DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I used a geometry-based solution.

Spoiler
Sol77.PNG
TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I struggled with this one for hours. I first came up with a trig based solution, hoping that the curvature of the earth wouldn't affect the results too much, but once you extended the line by more than about 50 miles the differences became really significant. I attached a workflow anyway just for fun. Some more thoughts in the spoilers:

Spoiler
I was thinking about using trade areas, but didn't know understand the polysplit tool. Thanks to @gnans19  I was able to understand it and came up with a slightly different approach to solving the problem with trade areas. But this still doesn't work for very large extensions. Once the amount you are extending the line exceeds about 30 times times the length of the original line, the distance between the endpoints of the line becomes insignificant and the trade area is essentially a circle around the endpoints.. At that point there will be multiple "nearest points" and the algorithm falls apart.
TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Did you ever come up with a trig solution that worked? I posted one, but it starts to deviate really quickly as the extensions get long because we can't use planar geometry rules on a curved surface. I think you can do some amount of correction but it won't work for very long distances.

KMiller
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached.

Spoiler
25-04-2019 08-55-35.png