I think my solution is pretty good. Can handle any number of letters and any number of blanks (even if you somehow had 10 in your hand). It also runs in 2.5 seconds and uses none of the fancy functions. A few formulas and filters, a couple of appends and a union, etc.
Thanks for the challenge!
Here is my solution. Usually I try to do every little bit of the challenge, but this one was...*tough*.
For my solution, I went with incorporating two standard macros. The first macro does most of the data prep leg work. The second utilizes a basic Summarize/Union approach to achieve the desired effect.
Normally, I am not a fan of a including multiple macros within a workflow for challenges - macros may be challenging for newer users pushing themselves in to new Alteryx terrain. But, I thought it would help splice processes and make the workflow a bit more approachable to understand.
Hope this helps!
I think it was a difficult one but a good exercise for iterative macros, I learned so much!
I found the first step harder to build because then it was just a matter of adjustments to the flow.
Anyway, here are my results for:
- First hand:
- Second hand (one blank):
- Third hand (two blanks):