Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #75: Scrabble Word Finder

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Three macros, a hundred tools, and over 16 million rows later-- my solution!

Spoiler
top five words by "board" aka starting inputtop five words by "board" aka starting input
robert-headington
8 - Asteroid

I created a macro that will give all the possible words in the database (sorted by score) that you can make with any scrabble hand (solving all three given and any others with the same format - i.e. characters separated by spaces, blanks written as blank)

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

So the non-blank version works for non-blanks and the blanks version works for two blanks - I have some silly error somewhere in it for one-blank which I'll try to go back and fix... I used a strategy of removing the characters which were in a players hand using find/replace's amazing ability to remove only one occurrence of an entry. And empty/null word meant that the scrabble letters could form it. For blanks - having 1 or 2 characters left meant the 1 or 2 blanks could be used to form the letters.

I was very pleased with that solution - even though it's obviously a bit messy. The screen grab of the blanks version includes flotsam from the earlier version. Scoring seemed much easier than matching letters and hypothetically the extra points for using all 7 letters should be added prior to finding the highest scores... Now - here are the 6 files (two macros each..) and screen grab

2021-03-08.png

mpennington
11 - Bolide

This may be my favorite solution to date. It runs quick and it is relatively small. Works with and without blanks. I annotated the tools in the workflow for readability. 

Spoiler
MP 75.jpg
alexvornsand
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
Workflow.PNG
Chantelb
9 - Comet
Spoiler
Chantelbbr_0-1617686780548.png

BeginnerMindset
8 - Asteroid

What a challenge! Probably my favourite one yet.  Delighted to have solved it with one workflow to handle all three cases. Lots of crossing connections in the workflow, but I think that's inevitable and I've used container boxes to try to explain. 

Spoiler
BeginnerMindset_0-1617995014269.png

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

This was a fun challenge! Here are my solutions. 

Spoiler
Workflow:
Maskell_Rascal_0-1623869341840.png

No Blank Tiles Solution:
Maskell_Rascal_1-1623869373814.png

One Blank Tile Solution:

Maskell_Rascal_2-1623869832054.png

Two Blank Tile Solution:

Maskell_Rascal_3-1623871991561.png

Cheers!

Phil

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Completed including the wildcard tiles.

Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

1. filter the length <= 7

2. join the hand word with point.

3. split both hand word and dictionary by single character.

4. join by character

5. Summary by count of character

6. filter out if character + blank is too less.

7. find top.