Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #71: Recreate SQL Joins in Alteryx

DRomero
5 - Atom

Kept mine super basic.

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

Inspired by @NicoleJohnson I created a simple general use macro, for more interface action practice.

Spoiler
c71.png
Is there a know technique for selecting zero records and zero fields? The attached is what I came up with.
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
What a hoot! Your digital dog ate your digital homework. You should see if you can use your digital assistant to schedule digital training for that naughty pet! :-) Have a good Thu Mark!
Garrett
11 - Bolide

Threw in a "Join Multiple" for a one tool "Full Join" just to spice it up.  Otherwise nothing exotic.

jacob
6 - Meteoroid

uploaded this one without a picture as there is nothing special to show..

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

A nice refresher

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 71.png
MattD
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Here's a solution!

Spoiler
Solution.jpg

Former Alteryx, Inc. Support Engineer, Community Data Architect, Data Scientist then Data Engineer
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Nice. I've actually built this previously as a macro, but I've simplified it here as an analytic app that allows you to choose the join type on the fly.

Spoiler
I began by creating a text input that represents the join type:
Join Types.PNG
And then a separate list of all join types: 
All joins.PNG
This I applied to a drop-down list which actioned the first file to update the value with the value selected:
Apply join types to selector.PNG
I then appended this to the two input files:   
Appending Join Types.PNG
I then placed a join tool to join them together on the key field:  Join data and take output combinations for each SQL join type.PNG
Each output combination was taken to represent each join type accordingly:

Left Outer.PNG      Inner.PNG
I then unioned the outputs of all joins, applied a filter to only show records that matched the join type and output as HTML:

Join, Filter and Output.PNG
This will output only those records that are the result of the join type selected in the dropdown.

This should now be dynamic, so you can run the app, choose your join type, and the corresponding output will be shown in HTML:

Output 1.PNGOutput 2.PNGOutput 3.PNG

Bulien

vishalgupta
7 - Meteor

nick_ceneviva
11 - Bolide

Solution attached