Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #70: Trade Area Drivetime Radii

Steph_Maddrell
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached and screenshot below in spoiler. It's a proxy for the real solution because I don't have access to drivetime data.

Spoiler
stephM_0-1602606328110.png

Sylvana
8 - Asteroid

My solution. Didn't know the spatial functions within the Summarize tool. Had another solution before:

Spoiler
Sylvana_0-1602838663697.png

WernerE
8 - Asteroid

Also did not have the spatial data so went with miles. 

tammybrown_tds
8 - Asteroid

For some reason, my total square miles (48) is way higher than everyone else's (15) even after I validated tools and process with the solution.  My tools are configured exactly the same, but I get more square miles.

Spoiler
tammybrown_tds_0-1603146604530.png

AdriandeArriba
7 - Meteor

My solution attached.

I don't have the drivetime package so instead I calculated the challenge using 10 mile radius instead of 30 minute drivetime radius.

Spoiler
adriandearriba_0-1603736874154.png

HenryR
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
My attempt
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Since not Drive Time Data, use Distance, 30 minutes approximately 11.5 miles by comparing result.

Spoiler
en-70.PNG
OwenBData
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
OwenBData_0-1609152315774.png

My solution.

LukasJennings
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 70 Solved .jpg

Shelbey
Alteryx
Alteryx

I don't get to work with spatial data at work, so this was my first time using Spatial Tools. I created the points and the trade area pretty easily. I also had to use miles instead of drive time. Because I live in rural Nevada, I decided to use the average driving speed of rural Nevada which was 30 mph to assume that 30 minutes of driving would result in driving 15 miles. After this, I tried using the Spatial Process tool to only return the intersection object, but I kept getting errors because I only had one spatial object field instead of two. Accepting defeat, I then had to look at everyone's spoilers and found out that the Summarize tool also creates intersection objects and was much simpler to use. Thank you everyone for submitting solutions that I could get hints from. I definitely need to keep practicing with Spatial tools.