Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #70: Trade Area Drivetime Radii

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Without the spatial package, I had to "borrow" some ideas from other solutions. I don't get to use the spatial tools often so I enjoy working on these challenges!

rmassambane
10 - Fireball

riverotoledo_21
8 - Asteroid

My solution (w/o Drivetime data).

Assumption of 15 miles radius.

Aswin
8 - Asteroid

My solution:

nivi_s
8 - Asteroid

Solved!

Spoiler
Didn't have the drivetime dataset either, so I used 12 miles because it was the closest to the output!
nivi_s_0-1578706443809.png

I used 11 miles instead of 30 minutes. My area is smaller than the provided solution but the thought process worked the same!

Spoiler
Angela_M_Burks_0-1579296221512.png
jallen297
7 - Meteor

My solution, I don't have the license for the drive time data set so I worked with what I had

Spoiler
jallen297_0-1580225335341.png
sonyakasenkramer
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
sonyakasenkramer_0-1580313371921.png
ChuyVBabs
8 - Asteroid

Like others, I took the road less (actually not at all) travelled by and that made very little difference. Not to dis drive time analysis, but if this is done without a road network, purely spatial results are very similar. A 3 mile radius on the intersection centroid comes out to a > 28 square mile area centered on a bullseye near the Shaw's supermarket - there looks like there's an outparcel to Shaw's as well as some nearby buildings to serve as a starting point in the office hunt.  Otherwise, even more rustic Walden Pond may be available for office park development.

Nicholas_Bignell
8 - Asteroid