Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #70: Trade Area Drivetime Radii

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Without the spatial package, I had to "borrow" some ideas from other solutions. I don't get to use the spatial tools often so I enjoy working on these challenges!

rmassambane
10 - Fireball

riverotoledo_21
8 - Asteroid

My solution (w/o Drivetime data).

Assumption of 15 miles radius.

Aswin
8 - Asteroid

My solution:

nivi_s
8 - Asteroid

Solved!

Spoiler
Didn't have the drivetime dataset either, so I used 12 miles because it was the closest to the output!
nivi_s_0-1578706443809.png

I used 11 miles instead of 30 minutes. My area is smaller than the provided solution but the thought process worked the same!

Spoiler
Angela_M_Burks_0-1579296221512.png
jallen297
7 - Meteor

My solution, I don't have the license for the drive time data set so I worked with what I had

Spoiler
jallen297_0-1580225335341.png
sonyakasenkramer
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
sonyakasenkramer_0-1580313371921.png
ChuyVBabs
8 - Asteroid

Like others, I took the road less (actually not at all) travelled by and that made very little difference. Not to dis drive time analysis, but if this is done without a road network, purely spatial results are very similar. A 3 mile radius on the intersection centroid comes out to a > 28 square mile area centered on a bullseye near the Shaw's supermarket - there looks like there's an outparcel to Shaw's as well as some nearby buildings to serve as a starting point in the office hunt.  Otherwise, even more rustic Walden Pond may be available for office park development.

Nicholas_Bignell
8 - Asteroid