Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #7: Download Data and Parse JSON

nick_ceneviva
11 - Bolide

The very first record seems to be off by a little bit but everything else matches.  Solution is attached.

jingmu
5 - Atom

It seems like the original json link is no longer working. Any chance we have an updated link?

dheerajpoojari
7 - Meteor

Updated link, please. Quandl seems to have removed this data set.

ChristineB
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@jingmu and @dheerajpoojari: Thank you for bringing this to our attention!  Unfortunately, it seems that the original dataset that was used to create this exercise has been removed from Quandl's site.  However, I adjusted the Challenge to call a new dataset on outbound tourism from the US.  The Start File contains a link to that dataset,  and the Solution has been updated as well. 

Thanks again, and happy Alteryx-ing!

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi all!  Another great challenge.  Here's my solution:

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 11.25.54.png
Natasha
9 - Comet

Solution attached

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 20.47.37.png
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

This was an interesting challenge especially in the aspect of ensuring the headers are correct after performing the cross-tab which I got round with by using a union and dynamic rename.

Spoiler
Crosstab Real.PNG

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
MaxGiegerich
8 - Asteroid

Great example. Downloading JSON data through public APIs is such an important use case for Alteryx as it opens up a world of data for free! I struggled a bit with the dynamic rename formatting the unicode characters as '___' but used a blog post (https://mixpixviz.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/controlling-format-of-cross-tab-header.html) to get to the solution.

Amarendra
10 - Fireball

Solution attached. Recently worked on a similar project and was fairly easy to finish this.