Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #69: Web Stock Data

Phil_L57
7 - Meteor

Nice use of the download tool. The output isn't identical as there are now more days in the yahoo data

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

This was a nice place to start for my first weekly challenge.  

A pretty simple solution to a simple challenge, with a couple of charts thrown in as a bonus:

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge Week 69.png

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

I looked around for some guidance on how to tag my image as a spoiler but couldn't find any - what should I have done?

Natasha
9 - Comet

My solution is similar to others, but used it as an opportunity to try reporting tools.

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 14.29.51.png
Natasha
9 - Comet

jamielaird,

First you need to insert a spoiler tag, and then with the cursor inside it insert photos

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 14.45.41.png

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Done - thanks so much Natasha :-)

Simona
7 - Meteor

Definitely I learnt something new today! Thanks for this challenge. 

Spoiler
Alteryx challenge.PNG
I used first the download tool to extract the data and then the text to column, first to split the data by rows and then another to split it by columns. Then I just removed unused fields and used the dynamic rename to pick from the first line of data the column headers. Autofield to give a field type as it was all string. Fun!!
JoshK_dup_167
6 - Meteoroid

Went above and beyond on this one. Created an app where you can input (probably) any real ticker and it will spit out the data in csv format as well as 2 charts for your viewing pleasure (saved to same folder as the app location). Any feedback on where this can be improved is welcome!

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Wow - you turn you back for 1 min, and then @JoeM posts the next challenge while you're not looking, and before you know it there's dozens of bright people who have solved the problem already.

So - summary is that I did much the same as @patrick_digan @BenMoss @MarqueeCrew and @alex 's basic solution.

I gotta say, people really swung for the fence on this one with charts, and graphs etc - I just just used some of the analytical tools (violin plot; histogram and a scatter plot) to see if there are any obvious anomalies (and there are  :-))

was impressed by @Joe_Mako 's approach - in retrospect it's obvious, but the trick is seeing it the first time.

Spoiler
I also struggled with the newline use of TextToColumns so did the same workaround as @NicoleJohnson :-)   But peeping at the solutions above, now I know this one for the future...

2017-05-11_9-11-38.png

JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I'd love to take credit for this challenge @SeanAdams, but this week @MattD started his weekly challenge authoring campaign! He's got some good ones planned for you guys over the next few weeks!!!