Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #68: Elapsed Classroom Times

mattjacobs
6 - Meteoroid

Interesting challenge.

RamonaJ
8 - Asteroid

Attached my solution

Racam1989
7 - Meteor

Add the '0' in front of the early times 😆

Spoiler
Racam1989_0-1623386643573.png

euanwilson
8 - Asteroid

Bit of a convoluted solution here.  

Spoiler
Firstly a Formula tool was used to write a IF loop to add a zero to the start of some times that only had a length of 3, eg 815 -> 0815. 
Next two date time tools were utilised to insert commas into the times to break up the hours and minutes. 
A select tool was used to convert the Begin/End Time columns from time into strings so the next formula could be completed. The Formula was just using the DateTimeDiff to calculate the time elapsed in minutes. 
Another select tool was used to rename and remove the appropriate columns and switch the type of the columns back into a time format. 
Two datetime tools were used to remove the seconds from the Time columns before a select tool was used again to rename and reshuffle the appropriate columns. 
Finally, two text to columns tools were used to split the time and the am/pm into two different columns before a final select tool was used to rename, remove and reshuffle the appropriate columns to arrive at the same result as the given output. 

Worlflow.PNGResults.PNG
Erin
9 - Comet
Spoiler
Submission attached. 
The solution formula was a bit too fancy for me. I know I have more tools than the posted solution (which is obviously more efficient) but I am not on that level quite yet. 
I converted start and end time fields into a date field. I wish the date time tool could regurgitate those fields as a string and convert from military time to standard time. Maybe it can and I'm missing it?
pgneal
8 - Asteroid

My Solution.

Thanks.

Nethrah24
8 - Asteroid

Done

Jonny
11 - Bolide

my solution:

Spoiler
good exercise to practice Date formatting and displaying as string.

Jonny_0-1624440571398.png

dYoast
11 - Bolide

I used a LOT more formulas than the posted solution.

DSinnett
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

In my solution, I used multiple formula tools just to do bite sized chucks.  But it's nice to be able build many formula expressions, based on previous expressions, in one tool.