Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #68: Elapsed Classroom Times

jacob
6 - Meteoroid

Spoiler
I've also come up with a one formula tool solution. I really like the colorful support the new formula tool offers.

wc68.PNG

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Same solution as most :)

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 68.png
A_Twa
8 - Asteroid

File under "More than one way to skin a cat"

Spoiler
I fully expected my DateTimeFormat + DateTimeParse + PadLeft formulas to be the 'official' solution - and then I looked at the formulas used in the official answer. ;)

MsBindy
8 - Asteroid

I have some confusion between DateTimeParse and DateTimeFormat,  but with some trial and error I did manage to get a solution.

Elena_Caric
8 - Asteroid

Learning so much today! :)

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Here's my solution.  I transposed both time fields into one column to save having to run the conversions twice, but then had to cross-tab twice at the end, so I'm not sure if it actually saved any steps.

UPDATE: Looking at everyone else's solutions there are MUCH easier ways to do this, but I guess that's why this is a learning exercise. :-)

Spoiler
challenge-68.PNG

nick_ceneviva
11 - Bolide

Solution attached.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
data_rachel
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
challenge68.PNG

Looks like I could have probably done it with fewer formula tools? Found this one a bit fiddly.
samjohnson
7 - Meteor

This challenge may seem simple, but there are some tricky points, including where a class begins in the morning and ends in the afternoon, which requires the absolute value between two times.

My solutions rarely use as few tools as possible; I've found that the more tightly wound the code within a tool is the harder it is to transition the project to someone else who may or may not have the same expertise (be it more or less). I like trying to use the base tools to solve the problem, and fully admit that I don't have a complete grasp of every tool in every category, but I'm trying!

Spoiler
Challenge68.PNG