Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #67: Calculate Spatial Angles

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

hmm... getting a different answer by using trig calcs... very close, so i'm assuming it isn't taking curvature into account or something silly like that???

Spoiler
jarrod_0-1594742483805.png

bmcclelland46
10 - Fireball

Think I used a bit of spatial and trig. I created all the points then just found the distance/angle with trig. Think I had to convert from radians to degrees so maybe that's why I'm off .05 degrees. 

Spoiler
bmcclelland46_0-1596071655062.png

JethroChen
10 - Fireball
Spoiler
challenge_67_jc.PNG
gsarcona
8 - Asteroid

I never would have been able to do the mathematical approach off the top of my head. Attached is the solution using spatial tools. 

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

I will admit that this challenge went way over my head (at some sort of calculated angle) and I had to go to solution for help.

DataHabanero
9 - Comet

Ready to go!

matt_un
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
matt_un_0-1599745982097.png

Done with a mixture of spatial and trig first (could be easily converted to formulas) then simplified to pure spatial. Hadn't realised that radians not degrees were the default for trig formulas.

jeng
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
jeng_0-1600063657196.png

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My solution.

about Bonus question:
I calculate them as a points on the surface of the sphere(r=6378.137km)

Spoiler

AkimasaKajitani_0-1600347355763.png

JoePC
9 - Comet

Solution Attached