Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #66: My Wine Problem

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

:-) included 3 variants (like 3 different kinds of cheese to go with the wine)

- the standard macro

- the iterative macro

- the batch macro

sadly, my neighbours have a strict "no singing old UB 40 songs after 11:30 at night" rule so I couldn't add any music to this experience...

toddhowl
7 - Meteor

I'm having some trouble getting my head around this. Looking at the input, we have at least 801 distinct bottles of wine. But it appears that we've sold bottles 1 through 5 to 3 different customers (orders 1,2, & 3) and bottles 6 through 12 to two different customers (orders 2 & 3). Shouldn't the macro check for that? We can't send the same bottle out in multiple orders. What am I missing?

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

great idea @toddhowl - that does add an extra challenge to this, I like your suggestion.

So are you thinking of building a macro that has an extra output with the errors/duplicate sales (I'm thinking of a batch macro that spits out your packing manifest on one output, a summary on the second, and possibly this kind of error on the third)?

Give it a bash - would be very interested to see your approach!

NaiLou
5 - Atom

I didn't have a chance to create a batch macro, unfortunately I only had white wine stocked in the fridge ;) 

Spoiler
Challenge 66.png   

alex
11 - Bolide

I completed mine as a Batch Macro and did not use a multi-row tool.  Tested for 3 scenarios and set to stop passing records if they are encountered.

Edit: The workflow has a sixth order to test errors.  Delete row 6 from Text input to see a completed workflow.

Spoiler
66A.JPG
66B.JPG

alex
11 - Bolide

@toddhowl@SeanAdams- based on my understanding of the challenge it is limited quantities, not distinct ids - more like UPC than VIN.  $.02

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

I attempted a Batch Macro with the Error checking, and aimed for the least amount of tools in the Macro. I got 7 including interface tools.

You can rewire the input to use the Text Input tool that has the error causing situations (or Union both inputs to see how it handles a mix of good and bad records).

Spoiler

Challenge 66.png

in the Macro:
1- Macro Input, set to not show field map, to allow for non-integer fields be used as input (so we can capture the error)

2- Message, set to Before Rows Where Expression is True:

IsNull([StartingBottleID])
OR

IsNull([EndingBottleID])
OR

NOT IsInteger([StartingBottleID])
OR

NOT IsInteger([EndingBottleID])
OR

ToNumber([EndingBottleID],1)<ToNumber([StartingBottleID])

I decided to just Error and let it continue to work, so all errors can be seen, and acceptable records will continue to be processed.

3- Generate Rows, will create a RecordID for each Bottle, starts counting at 0, and ends at the difference between the start and end. I made use of the optional arguments in the ToNumber() function.

4- Control Patameter, to bring in BoxSize

5- Formula, to calculate:

BoxSize:
Max(ToNumber([#1]),1)
If an invalid value is entered, BoxSize will become 1

BoxNumberForOrder:
FLOOR(([RecordID])/[BoxSize])+1
Bin RecordID based on BoxSize

BottleID:
[RecordID]+ToNumber([StartingBottleID])
Convert RecordID into BottleID

6- Summarize, aggregate data to desired level of detail.

7- Macro Output, no config needed

I did not change any of the defaults in the Interface Designer.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thank you @alex and @Joe_Mako for spotting that I posted the wrong file. 

Correct file attached now (part 1 of 2)

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

correct files part 2 of 2

JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This week we will give you some different ways to execute the problem. Solutions posted!