Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #63: Data Preperation Using Pivot Tools

Emily_P
8 - Asteroid

Challenging! My workflow can definitely be cleaned up, but happy I got to the goal!

EmmyCC
7 - Meteor

Solution attached.

This one is beyond my knowledge way too much , it took me hours even after I looked into others solutions to create my own. 

Things I learned from this challenge:

1. fill in data into empty field with expression

2. how to use pivot to stack  data sets with multiple columns.

Salvatore_Miseo
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone,
below I send my solution to challenge # 63

In solving the problem I followed the following steps, according to the following rule:

IDENTIFY, BREAK DOWN, TRANSFORM AND REASSEMBLE.

Since in the use of the Transponse tool, the data is transformed into two columns, I asked myself how to create a third column to reorder the data through the Cross Tab tool. I thought of using the tool of the Mult-Row Formula, to create this field both to create a column of the DMA, both to create a column of the periods of "Weeks of" in the respective subset tables.

Below is the description of the steps that I weighed to follow:

• Phase (1) Create the sales value dataset for each field by adding a column of the respective DMA values. Attention delete the DMA code from the From the Values column
  • Phase (2) Create the table of Value labels for each Field (The series of fields after the first F1 File, identifying respectively: Internal, External and Total of the Store)
  • Phase (3) Create the "Sales Posting Week" date period table for each Field
  • Phase (4) Add the relevant "Week of" periods, and field labels to the sales value dataset
    Create a Pivot table to reorder the data, grouping by DMA and Week os sale

I tested by copying and pasting 3 new fields according to the recurring pattern, and the workflow should work.

I would be happy with your feedback

Thank you all
good job

challenge_63_SM.PNG

Salvatore_Miseo
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone,

In solving the problem I followed the following steps, according to the following rule:

IDENTIFY, DISASSEMBLE, TRANSFORM AND REASSEMBLE.

Since in using the Transponse tool the data is transformed into two columns, I wondered how to create a third column to reorder the data using the Cross Tab tool. I thought about using the Multi-Line Formula toll, to create this field and to a column of the DMA, either to create a column of the periods of "Weeks of" in the respective subset tables.

Below is the description of the steps I weighed to follow:

• Phase (1) Create the sales value dataset for each field by adding a column of the respective DMA values.  Attention delete [filter] the DMA code from the from the Values column
  • Step (2) Create the table of Value labels for each Field (The series of fields after the first F1 File, identifying respectively: Internal, External and Total of Point)
  • Step (3) Create the "Sales Posting Week" date period table for each Field
  • Step (4) Add the relevant "Week of" periods, and field labels to the sales value dataset.
    Create a Pivot table to reorder the data, grouping by DMA and Week of sale

challenge_63_SM.PNG

I tested by copying and pasting 3 new fields according to the recurring pattern, and the workflow should work.

I would be happy with your feedback

Thank you all
Good job

MarkusLiedtke
6 - Meteoroid

I think I found a lean solution.

Normster
8 - Asteroid

This one was challenging.  I noticed that the solution had a lot more complex coding in some of the tools.  Also, when I got to the end, my answers didn't match.  Discovered it was because I took the extra step to calculate Total POS.

Spoiler
Normster_0-1613766362123.png

mhgarcia
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
chall 63.PNG

my solution 🙂

Tisaac95
8 - Asteroid

My solution

Pang_Hee_Choy
12 - Quasar

solution

JP_SDAK
8 - Asteroid

This was a hard one.  I went the macro route to process 3 rows at a time and union them.  Seems like there has to be an easier way, but it got the job done ...

Spoiler
JP_SDAK_1-1615168574613.pngJP_SDAK_2-1615168595002.png