Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #61: Save the Astronaut

J_white
5 - Atom

Man! I'm glad I found this one as my first ever Alteryx Challenge. This was a lot of fun! I got 30minutes, but I didn't follow all of the rules, b/c we are on MARS! I didn't have time for spaces and punctuation.. But this could easily be redrawn to include punctuation and replace spaces with a proper identifier.

Spoiler
Alteryx Challenge 61.png
vishalgupta
7 - Meteor

nick_ceneviva
11 - Bolide

Solution is attached.  Assumes the camera can go in either direction.

lminors
9 - Comet

Really enjoyed this one, with the context and everything. Great film and the books on the reading list! I used this as a problem solving exercise at Keyrus UK so hoping there will be some more solutions from colleagues submitted soon.

I tested it with upper case, lower case and title case and the title case was 4 minutes quicker so we'll go with that! My solution is attached below workflow in the spoiler:

Spoiler
WC61_LM.JPG

Thanks,

Luke - Keyrus UK

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Capture.PNG
dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Solved! As mentioned earlier, we are saving Mark & NASA some seconds by making sure the camera follows the shortest path to the next card (has to be less than 180, else go in the other direction) so this step in the original soluction is a tad shorter:

Spoiler
We can reduce 190.58...to ~170...
CharacterIDOrderSymbolCardsCard PositionCamera_TurnDirection
3059n6148.235294117647190.588235294118left

samN
10 - Fireball

I think this was the most fun challenge yet! 

Spoiler
Here are some assumptions I made.
The camera can turn both ways and chooses the faster of the two.
Stop for a second on each sign.
If there are repeating cards the camera will pause for 5 seconds for each additional duplicate. so if two are the same it will land on the card and then pause for 5 seconds and then move on.
The Camera does not have to return to the start
Assume that we group two cards to make a 4 bit hex number to be converted into a symbol. 

My answer was different than the solution by less than a minute so I'm guessing it was probably due to some of these assumptions and perhaps i didn't make enough assumptions. 
Awesome Challenge

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Wow!  That was fun!  Watching the video clip from the movie helped a lot!

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

This was a fun one. Everyone seems to have slightly different answers depending on assumptions. I assume shortest distance taken and no pause (which I accept would make it difficult to interpret). Solution attached.

Spoiler
challenge_61 - Snip.PNG
jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Solution attached.