Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #61: Save the Astronaut

jbranaum
8 - Asteroid

My solution.

Ended up about 20 secs lower than the output solution in the starting file, but am reasonably confident on the approach. 

Assuming we dont include the last period in the message and we stop for 1 second at each arrival point to distinguish it as the letter of interest.

Note, if I was really trying to be as fast as possible I would probably title case the message and remove all white space.  We save a significant amount of time doing that.

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
I built my workflow so that my answer would match the solution provided in seconds and minutes.
Capture.PNG
ipeng
8 - Asteroid

This is a very interesting exercise. The main challenges are 1. understand how HEX works, and 2. the rover can turn clockwise or counterclockwise, whichever is faster. 

KeithTroutt
8 - Asteroid

I assumed that the Camera would need to stop at each position 1 second which is why my results are about 2 minutes longer than the solution results. This was a fun challenge. 

Spoiler
Challenge 61 Spoiler.PNG
OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I should RTFQ, couldn't work out why my answer was so different until I saw that the message finishes on the last letter(which I took to mean full stop)

Spoiler
Challenge 61.PNG
RichoBsJ
11 - Bolide

Hi! Here my solution :)

Spoiler
It took 90 exact seconds more than the provided solution....no clue why, I think my solution is ok haha

challenge_61.PNG
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

My solution

cplewis90
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

This was an extremely complicated one for me as I couldn't figure out how to get the shortest distance to return in the calculation (ex: going from position 1 to 16 is not 15 spaces, but 2). I ended up stopping where I was a few weeks ago and finally revisited the problem and boom the answer came to me. Always funny how that works sometimes.

Spoiler
My answer was slightly higher than provided at 40.78 vs 40.59 minutes and I think it is the difference in method of solving. 
Challenge 61.PNG
KMiller
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached

Spoiler
20-03-2019 09-08-32.png
calampert
7 - Meteor

This was a ton of fun!