Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #6: Spatial Route

Laurap1228
11 - Bolide

Number 6 done!

Spoiler
challenge6.jpg
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Another fun one

Spoiler
Spoilerimage.png
DE0413
8 - Asteroid

This challenge is definitely beyond my knowledge base as I have not worked with spatial tools.  Are there tutorials that would help a beginner to develop competency with these spatial tools?

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @DE0413,

There are a few resources that you can look to:

The other thing you can do is break down spatial into some of the core concepts and expiriment / play:

• Core concepts: spatial analysis uses a set of unique spatial objects that you can think of as 3 things: areas (think of the area covered by your hand of you put it over a piece of a map); points (like a dot on a map - called Centroids); and paths (a line from A to B; and from B to C - essentially lines connecting points)
  • The tools then tie back to this:
    • If you have a longitude / lattitude; you can create points using "Create Points"
    • Once you have points - you can compare them using Distance
    • you can turn points into areas in a few ways - for example either using poly-build (connect the points I stopped on my road-trip, and tell me the area of the country I covered); or using Trade Area (given 10 points on a map, what would that look like if I put a circle around each to cover an area around those points)
    • Spatial info is super helpful 'cause it tells you more about either your points or your paths or areas (centroids; polygons or areas)
    • Once you have an area defined - you may want to make it bigger; smooth out some of the edges; create some extra space etc (Buffer; Smooth; Gerneralise)
    • Spatial Match is then used for comparison of spatial objects
    • Spatial process is used for finding overlaps / intersections etc of the objects
    • And finally the piece that took me a while to understand is that you can also use some of the regular tools on spatial objects - like the Summarize tool has some spatial capabilites too.

This should get you started and allow you to play with the core tools, and possibly to learn through experimentation.

Cheers

Sean

DE0413
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much Sean!  I will be sure to check these out.

DE0413
8 - Asteroid

Hi Sean,

If I'm not able to access the TomTom maps in my Alteryx application, should I assume my license did not include it?

Phil_L57
7 - Meteor

Also had different output, same as solution though

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Spatial tools are my favourite

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 6.png
KOBoyle
11 - Bolide

Solution attached.  This was my first exposure to the spatial tools.  I was able to get all but the route lines on my own.  The solution was very informative.

Ken

A_Twa
8 - Asteroid

As others have noted, I get different results when compared to the output, but since the official solution and I agree, I calling this one done!  ;)