Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #58: An Odd String to Date Conversion

JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@DinoF, I will try to be more diligent with making more backward compatible workflows. Attached, I have a workflow that should work with your version. If you ever find yourself in a spot where you do not have a compatible workflow version, you can make is compatible (most of the time) by following this knowledgebase article.

Also, check out the "modify Alteryx workflow version" that @MarqueeCrew has posted on the Gallery!

DanielUpton
9 - Comet

Here's a solution on v11.  My first chance to play with the updated formula tool.  I like! 

DinoF
6 - Meteoroid

Hi there, thanks for the tip (modifying the XML with notepad) !

Cheers

DinoF
6 - Meteoroid

Well this was a good exercise  (more like a good break), you'll find my solution enclosed :) BTW the limitation on the lentgh to 7 char was a good one i'll give you that !

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@JoeM,

Used a single formula for this one.

Spoiler
datetimeparse(tostring(19+tonumber(left([date],1)))+substring([date],1,2)+right([date],4),"%Y%m%d")

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@MarqueeCrew

Nicely done! Now I have to play too! I probably would have done something near identical to what you did, but decided to try to be creative and find another way.

Spoiler

tostring(tonumber(left([date],1))+19)+REGEX_Replace([date],".(.{2})(.{2})(.{2})","$1-$2-$3")

JoshK_dup_167
6 - Meteoroid

Regex + Formula tool

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Ok, I may have taken a slightly different approach:

Spoiler
I first identified and isolated the first character of the string, which denotes the year, using the simple left([date],1) formula.
I then created a text input as a mapping table:

Text input.PNG

I then joined this table on the first character, then took the new year value.
I then simply appended the year to the rest of the data string, effectively replacing the first character with the appropriate year value. Then I simply parsed the date.
Solution.PNG

Bulien

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

simple 3 box solution

Spoiler
formula to split
Date time convert to convert
Select to clean up
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus