Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #54: Data Prep Address Parsing

derekbelyea
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
2017-12-28_161030.png
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Challenge Completed

TeePee
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
I found this one very tricky.  In the end, I had to use a bit of a hack by manually adding a couple of the cities to a master list of cities which I took from the census bureau website.  I've also added a double-check: if the data set increases and there are more cities which aren't present in the census bureau list, they will be marked as "unknown" so the Alteryx user can add the cities to the master list.  Not very elegant, but it works.
dsmdavid
11 - Bolide

Regex + Data Cleansing. For a larger dataset a lookup for streets, alleys, circles, etc. would be needed --for this one I thought it was ok to hardcode the couple present.

Spoiler
54b.png
kcgreen
8 - Asteroid

Done!

I'm impressed that some people were able to do this with just one Regex tool.  I needed three.

Spoiler

54.JPG

lminors
9 - Comet

Had fun with this one. Walked through it with a class I was training so had to avoid using RegEx which made it interesting!

Spoiler
Solution was a bit messy with loads of embedded Replace() functions.
WC54.JPG
Ozzy_Campos
8 - Asteroid

Here's my solution, done manually and creating common street labels.  This could be really useful to fine tune for large sets of addresses

CHarrison
8 - Asteroid

Had to brush up on some REGEX skills for this one... surprised I managed to get there in the end! 

data_rachel
8 - Asteroid

Not as elegant as some others, but good RegEx practice and certainly made me think!

Spoiler
challenge54.PNG
mascarenhas_lucas
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
challenge_54.PNG