Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #50: Preparing Survey Data

Ajjay
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Ajjay_0-1624566521392.png

ExploreMore
8 - Asteroid

The instructions were a little bit confusing in terms of how they wanted us to select columns but I feel like I finally figured it out.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2021-07-25 122535.png

JackBurnham
8 - Asteroid

b

carmenrapariz
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Challenge 50.PNG
dfurlow
8 - Asteroid

The "Advanced" part of this challenge is figuring out what it is really asking for.  To make this dataset useful, each row of response data needs to contain or be able to lookup via joins in Tableau, Qlik, PBI, etc...  I could replicate the apparent error in the challenge data shown as "Output" but this doesn't seem useful as the prompt shown does not correspond to the question asked.  I added an age to every response by parsing column 38 to get the age range.  Then i looked up the prompt in the Questions file and added that to every record and output a tall dataset, suitable for tableau, and a wide dataset suitable for excel.  I spent more time reviewing the challenge and the various solutions that people have tried to interpret from the challenge... This is the first challenge i've come across where i spent more time figuring out what to do than how to do it.  Maybe worth a review of the prompt for the challenge?  or maybe worth a few hours off the computer (for me, i mean!) Thank you.

carmenrapariz
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Challenge 50.PNG
ARussell34
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution for 50!

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi,

This was fun 🙂

Emil_Kos_0-1628968495598.png

VizChic
11 - Bolide

FG AA Soln

DanTh
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Made a classic attempt at making this much more complicated than it should be, so I went ahead to create a mini-App. Seems to do the trick for question 38, but in order to make it robust you would need to add in the Age columns (I only used column 38). Might come back to this one later on.

3/5