Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #5: HR Position Finder Application

Flippe
7 - Meteor

The only diff from the original solution to mine is that I've added a formula to add a "3" at the end of the original string - which later I found wasn't necessary because we should manually enter the values for the dropdown box.

Find it attached here. 

ipeng
8 - Asteroid

solution attached

msicak
8 - Asteroid

This one took a little longer than the first four, but I got there in the end. It's not letting me upload the app file, so here's the workflow.

Spoiler
ch5.png

Suzu
9 - Comet

Here is my solution.

Sajeel_Kershi
8 - Asteroid

Challenge 5 Completed.

Added a record id (key) to data and then transposed to single list showing all positions and levels (i.e. flattening out the hierarchy) and then removing nulls to give a list of all positions. Add a filter for position 33333 and link back to un transposed data to give the required output.

To make this into an app added a dropdown list that is automatically populated by the workflow. Could have manually typed in the values but wanted to make the app generic. Could not get it to work for ages as I initially tried feeding in a single field with all the positions and then finally realised that you list that is fed in is a list of columns. Therefore Crosss tabed out the distinct list and populating the drop down list worked fine.

Next problem I had was I could'nt get the filter to update beyond the default value (i.e if anything other than 33333 selected). Again took my ages before I figured out that you need to expand out the operand tree and highlight the line "operand value = 33333"

Added an html output so that when you run the app you can see the result. All working fine.

A challenging task - mainly due to the documentation around Apps not exactly being clear:Took loads of google searches and searching the community site

----

Hmm I can not attache the yxwz file - message saying "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type"

Sajeel_Kershi
8 - Asteroid

could not upload the app file (.yxwz) so tring zip file

paul_houghton
12 - Quasar

Feels a bit messy but gets the job done.

The upload kept erroring, which could be associated with v2018.4so just saved it to the gallery (https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/challenge_5_solution_app/5c19479d8a93370dc8e4d9ae

Spoiler
Challenge 5 workflowChallenge 5 workflow

AJauniskis
8 - Asteroid

My solution:

Spoiler
workflow.JPG

The main drawback in this is that you have to run the workflow for it to get the drop-down list options. And only then you can use the app.
hugolees
7 - Meteor

Quite strange that you need to change the input to the drop down tool to be field names as opposed to direct values..!

OliverW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

My Solution (somehow cant upload yxwz)

Spoiler
grafik.png