Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #5: HR Position Finder Application

Amarendra
10 - Fireball
do you mind sharing a yxmd file? The file u uploaded is an app and I cannot check the underlying workflow. Can I check the workflow directly from an app?
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@Amarendra Try opening it from File > Open Workflow in the Alteryx Designer. 

dheerajpoojari
7 - Meteor

Attaching my solution which is dynamic based on the input.

Spoiler
challenge5.png
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Here's how I approached this one.  Solution file attached.

Spoiler
1) Created a unique set of position numbers and transposed them to field names for use in a Drop Down tool.

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 18.34.34.png

2) Passed the selected value into the workflow and appended to the original source table, to create a 'match' value.

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 18.34.45.png

3) Found and filtered the matched records and outputted to a YXDB.

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 18.34.55.png

Natasha
9 - Comet

Love the header trick from @PhilipMannering

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 11.36.26.png
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
I like passing interface tools like %Question.Name% since it uses one less tool (no action tool). I used the arrange and crosstab tools to reorient the data so I populate the dropdown.
Capture.PNG
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Don't build apps that often, nice example. And like the dynamic drop down solution

Spoiler
2017-10-04_21-02-25.jpg

vkarthik21
8 - Asteroid

Used the transpose alongside Row number method to obtain the result set. I still can't understand what tehse apps are all about. Will read up on them. Solution attached

JoshKushner
12 - Quasar

Please find my solution to challenge #5 attached. This was a great introduction to analytic apps!

michael_d
8 - Asteroid

Fairly self explanatory this one, good practise for those who are unfamilar with building an Analytical App.

The only thing I don't like about them is I always find myself using the Fields from a connected tool option, would be nice to able to use unique records from a selected field or something like that!

Another down side with that option is that you must run the App as a workflow first, before you can see any options in the Apps dropdown menu, caught me out a few times.

Thanks,

Michael