Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #5: HR Position Finder Application

kaianderson
8 - Asteroid

Here's my solution.

kenhermosura
6 - Meteoroid

solutions as attached.

steven4320555
8 - Asteroid

Thanks to the challenge, I have touched the analytical app for the first time. Not as horrible as I have thought.

Spoiler
steven4320555_0-1585774796790.pngsteven4320555_1-1585774913613.png

The tool mastery helped me in understanding the format of data drop-down tool take. As a columnar store based tool, the name and value have to be organised horizontally is not cool. Luckily, it is only a limitation for using data within the workflow. 

ref

Tool Mastery | Drop Down

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Drop-Down/ta-p/37094

billbacher
6 - Meteoroid

Probably an unorthodox solution.

MichaelSu
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

See attached.

mark007
8 - Asteroid

Done.  

But two question on this.  In the Alteryx prepared solution the input to the drop down is hard coded.  I didn't take this approach as I assumed the hierarchy would need to be dynamic as changes occur.  I succesfully created this but with an interesting questions raised:

1) Using a dropdown - is it not possibly to use values from a connected tool?  Instead I had to generate an export file and then pick this export up in the drop down option.

2) The export file also created an interesting challenge as the drop down ran before the process to create the file occured.  Not a problem when the process has been run once before as the file already exists then but - is there a way of determining the order of a workflow other than through the order of connections?

Thanks!

igorp
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
igorp_0-1586467477819.png

Nice one!

igorp
8 - Asteroid

@mark007 

Hi Mark, check out my solution - just one below yours. 

I think it answers your question regarding dynamic drop-down input.

Cheers!

Igor

mark007
8 - Asteroid

@igorp  Such a simply solution to my problem, thanks for highlighting 🙂 How did you get the app output to appear?

Thanks!

igorp
8 - Asteroid

@mark007 

Glad it helps!

Regarding the app output - in the interface designer you can specify the app behavior by ticking a checkbox in the properties window- for example show results to user.

Spoiler
igorp_1-1586504860206.png

Best,

Igor