Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #41: Analytics PayPeriodCalc

millerbp
8 - Asteroid

took a bit... but we got there

Spoiler
millerbp_0-1623949027330.png

Nethrah24
8 - Asteroid

Done

zachcornelison
7 - Meteor

Submission attached

Jonny
11 - Bolide

useful exercise for lead-time analysis where the weekday matter, i.e. transit time etc.

Spoiler
Jonny_0-1624294082547.png

Ajjay
8 - Asteroid

Soln

ncrlelia
11 - Bolide

Challenge 41

maharaj
7 - Meteor

Got the ouput

JackBurnham
8 - Asteroid

b

romie75
5 - Atom

Hi! Could anyone please help me understand the logic behind each of the steps? I'm not sure it makes sense to me and even by looking at all the answers, I'm unable to replicate it on my own because I don't think I understand the logic behind the process. Thank you! 

Elias_Nordlinder
11 - Bolide

Here is my solution, I wrote some logic in as well in the spoiler if more people like romie75 have questions in the future 🙂 

Spoiler
1. Converting to longer String Fields with the Select button (P1 Start got wierd later on if keeping the small size of the String field).
2. Using the DateTimeParse function in the formula tool as we want to convert a string field to a date format.
-> %m/%d/%Y means that the original format is 1/1/2000 or similar, i.e month number/day number/year
3. Using Select tool again to format as Date as this is needed for the next tools.
4. Using the Generate Rows Tool as I want to see all the days that is in a specific pay period, as this is needed to calculate how many weekdays it is between.
The generate rows can create all of these days as long as you have a start and an end date which we have.

I created two flows as this was easier, one that using generate rows for P1 and one for P2.
It is really important to use the DateTimeAdd([Date,I,"Dayformat") as the Loop Expression in the end of the Generate rows tool.

5. Use the select tool again to remove all the unneccessary fields.
6. Use the Formula tool again to create the months in the output with DateTimeFormat function (As Date field to String field).
-> I use the formula DateTimeFormat([PayPeriod],"%B,%Y")
7. Also use formula tool to flag 1 if weekday and 0 if not weekday to be able to sum up later, also uses DateTimeFormat function.
8. Finally sums up all the weekdays per month and Year.
9. Join together the two flows.
10. Join with output to check if everything is correct.

Elias_Nordlinder_0-1626786772696.png