Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #4: Date Parsing

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Here's my solution.

Spoiler
1) I started off by adding a record ID, isolating the part of the string containing the date and removing redundant characters:

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 16.28.29.png

2) I then used a formula tool to create three streams corresponding to the different date formats, first using Regex to test if the first character was a digit, which enabled me to identify the [Mon dd yyyy] strings, and for those where this was not the case using FindString to check if the last four characters contained a hype, which enabled me to identify [dd-Mon-yyyy] and [dd-Mon-yy].  These streams then fed into an appropriately configured DateTime tool.

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 16.33.22.png

3) Finally a bit of column cleaning and joined back to the original dataset using the record ID.

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 16.39.21.png

KayT
5 - Atom

A_Twa
8 - Asteroid

This one was a real challenge for me.  I did get the same results as the output indicated, but I have real doubts that the WC FIelds quote is from 2000.... :)

Lorna_Eden
7 - Meteor

Natasha
9 - Comet

Just starting with Regex and here is my solution

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 20.00.24.png

JacobR77
8 - Asteroid

Took the long way round (first time using RegEx), but got there.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

As others have said this is a great exercise for working on improving your regex skills.

Here's my solution.

Spoiler
dateparse.PNG

Ben

MaxGiegerich
8 - Asteroid

Took a while to understand that it's only the four formats in the instructions that have to be supported... Tried to build a solution for all dates I could think of before reverting to a more sensible approach. Thanks for the exercise!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
I used a regex tool and then the BB-Date macro. It caught 3 of the 4, so I just added a comma (Jun 5 2000 >>> Jun 5, 2000) so that way BB-Date handled all of the dates.
Capture.PNG
Suzanne
7 - Meteor

Had to peak at the solution for this one.  Excellent challenge.