Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #4: Date Parsing

Wallarion
6 - Meteoroid
Spoiler
challenge_4_screenshot.JPG

tdonohue001
6 - Meteoroid

Tricky! But really useful!

aihnen
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached.

Spoiler
My first REGEX detects all the dates that have month in letter format first. My second Regex detects all dates that have the day of the month first. I used custom DATETIME to put them in the correct format and joined records together by position. Then used a formula to replace Null values with corresponding date values from the other data columns. Finally SELECT tool to clean up the columns.
aihnen_0-1573139412195.png
JamesCameron
8 - Asteroid

My effort.

These challenges are improving my RegEx no end!

Spoiler
JamesCameron_1-1573205016562.png

aihnen
8 - Asteroid

When reviewing the solution given, I realized in my initial try I was using [::alpha::] to search for any letter characters as per Alteryx's listing of regular expression choices. The solution uses [[:alpha:]]. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that it's a POSIX expression used within a bracket expression in order to differentiate it as POSIX but still do not understand the use of one less colon on each either side of "alpha". Can someone explain? 

Spoiler
aihnen_0-1573224114551.png
Xlblaze
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
([\d]+[-][[:alpha:]]+[-][\d]+)|([[:alpha:]]+[\s]+[\d]+[,]*[\s]+[\d]+)

Xlblaze_0-1573659684727.png
I started with the RegEx Fuction above, then cleansed the outputs to remove punctuation.
2 DateTime Parse to conver the cleaned outputs to Date Fields
A formular to combine them,
A select to remove the not needed fields

I hate RegEx, i get its powerfull but i hate writing it.

soha-elghany
8 - Asteroid

jackdaniels
8 - Asteroid

Spoiler
Capture.PNG

Rags1982
10 - Fireball

erick_irigoyen
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Solution attached